Eco Essay Contest
As part of the Lake County 2023EcoExpo, Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Lake County (UUCLC) is sponsoring a contest for the best original essay on a conservation or climate change topic written by a senior in a Lake County public high school. We will award $500 for first place and $250 each for two runners up.
The topic of the essay is “How I Can Make a Difference in Lake County” with the content to be related to conservation or climate change.
Topic ideas include:
- Protecting and conserving wildlife, air, water
- Maintaining ecological balance
- Achieving smart growth to protect sensitive habitat
- Recycling or waste reduction
- Mitigation of negative impacts to health, agriculture, economy
- Extreme weather events
- Preparedness and community resilience
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions
- Alternative energy sources
- Entrant must be a Lake County Public High School Senior
- Only one essay per student.
- Essays must be the student’s own original work. All references to the work of others must be acknowledged in the body of the document or in citations placed in footnotes, endnotes, or bibliographies.
- Essays must be typed and submitted as a Microsoft Word or PDF document
- Essays may not exceed 750 words, not including citations.
- Essays must be submitted online on or before February 15. Hard-copy or late submissions will not be accepted. If you are having difficulty submitting your essay, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please title your file as follows: LastNameFirstInitialEcoEssay
- Example: Jane Doe would be DoeJEcoEssay
Understanding the topic
Original thinking relative to the topic
Effectiveness of presenting point of view
Literary style, grammar, and spelling
A panel of reviewers will judge entries. Essay submissions that do not comply with the above requirements will be disqualified. All decisions will be final.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com
Our 7th Principle:
Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.